Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Food: Broccoli Cheese Soup

We have a really good broccoli cheddar soup recipe that is my "go-to" recipe, but I recently found this recipe via Pinterest and decided to try it. Man am I glad I did. I adapted the recipe (because I was out of milk - a sweet friend let me borrow some ;), and also almost out of cheddar), and wow was it good. The recipe calls for using a food processor to puree the broccoli, but next time I think I will puree half of it and leave the other half chopped to add to the soup.
Broccoli Cheese Soup - adapted from Jodi Picoult's Broccoli Cheddar Soup
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups broccoli, chopped (I used frozen)
Dash of garlic powder
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1-3/4 cups milk

1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar

1 cup shredded gouda
Slices of crusty bread



In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock, water, broccoli, onion, garlic, garlic powder, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer about 8-10 minutes until vegetables are soft.


Remove the bay leaf. Using a food processor, process the mixture until smooth (about 30 seconds). Place in a bowl and set aside.


Using the large saucepan you just used, melt the butter, add the flour and whisk constantly until a paste forms. Add the milk and cream a little at a time, whisking constantly. Once combined, add the cheddar and gouda and stir until melted and combined.


Add the broccoli mixture and stir to combine. If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of extra chicken stock to thin it out.


Top with shredded cheddar or gouda. Serve with warm crusty French bread. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this recipe, it sounds *so* good! I love broccoli cheese soup in sourdough bowl but I've never made it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE broccoli cheese soup! i'm going to bookmark this! thanks for sharing. now i'm drooling ;)

    ReplyDelete